Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9th Letter


Dear Family,

Before my highlights I just have to say that I am always excited to write you each week, but ever since Saturday I have been particurlarly anxious to talk to you. THEY CHANGED THE MISSIONARY MINIMUM AGE!?!?!?! WHAT!? Haha did I not call that would happen as soon as I left???? That is SOOOO cool!! Even though it didn't affect me, I am so excited for all those other girls that can go when they are 19 if they want! And for the boys too. Does this mean Maxwell AND Jorgen will be gone before I come home?? If so, you better make a pit stop in California ;) So here are some highlights...

Tuesday we played zone sports for a LONG time. It was so fun! After we went and had dinner with our favorite part-member family. The dad is an investigator and we just love them so much! Right when we sat down to eat though, the little boy threw up EVERYWHERE... you all know I don't do well with throw up and to let you know.. that's still the same haha I was kinda freaking out slash felt so bad for the little guy. After we had dessert at a less-actives house. She just recently went through a bad divorce and is having a really hard time. We talked with her about families and how it is crucial at this time that she stays strong to God. I couldn't help but think of a particular someone and his amazing example of staying strong to God through hardship.

Wednesday we had a lesson with Melody. It went well! We invited her to pray about a baptism date and she said she is all for that. We also talked to her about how she really needs to come to church and she said she told her husband she really wants to do that so he is going to help make sure they don't schedule anything for Sunday so she can come. She really is so prepared and ready! Also this day I finally got to read Grandpa's letter and Uncle John's explanation of the letter. WOW. That is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Grandpa is such an amazing man and missionary. Thank you Aunt Diana for typing that up and for Uncle John for explaining the situation and for mom and dad for forwarding it to me. I think Heavenly Father knew I needed that.

Sister Rasmussen and Sister Stevens
Thursday we had zone meeting which was great! Sister Stevens and I had to present a part of it, which was presentation skills. We learn all about presentation skills at the battalion and President wanted us to pass that on to all the missionaries to hopefully help them particularly with street contacting. MoBat was great. I met the cutest girl from Russia. I just feel so blessed to be able to meet all these wonderful people from all over the world!! Oh something so cool is we got an art display at the battalion! It will be here for a few months. The artist is Liz Lemon Swindle. Her work is AMAZING!! It seriously brings a whole other spirit to the battalion. You can feel it as soon as you walk in. If it ever comes to a visitor center in Utah you gots to go see it!

Friday Sister Stevens had departures so I was in a trio with Sister Ortez and Madsen. We were at the temple from 11:00 until 7:30! It was awesome. I love serving at the temple! At one point the cafeteria got so busy and they only have one lady who works there so they asked us to come help, so we got to work in the cafeteria for like 45 min, haha it was awesome! After the temple we went and had a lesson with a less active in Sister Ortez & Madsen's area. It was an awesome lesson about the sacrament and atonement and cool to see how other sisters taught.

Cassie with Jerry who reminds her of Kai

Saturday GENERAL CONFERENCE!!! I LOVE general conference sooooooo much! I came up with a few questions before conference and they were all answered in the Saturday morning session so that was COOL!! We watched the morning session at the battalion and all of us were freaking out about the age change. I loved all the talks but the ones that stood out to me in the morning session were Elder Christensen's about the Spirit, Elder Bowen's about looking forward with hope, and President Uchtdorf's.. oh my goodness his talk just spoke directly to my heart! He said everything I needed to hear. I love loved it! Especially when he said life is not a race, it's a journey and that we need to cherish the moments with those we love. We watched the second session at our stake center in Chula. Saturday afternoon Elder Perry and Ballard's talks stood out to me. I just loved how basically everything was centered on the family and how important families are! Because that is what Satan is trying to attack the most right now. We had MoBat shift this night.

Sunday we had MoBat shift in the morning so we took numbers and when people came in the next number had to take a tour and the other's could watch. I got taken out during Elder Holland's talk :( so i was a little sad about that, but I am excited to read it soon and I was very happy that I made it back in time for President Monson's talk, which was SO good!! The more we act the more the Lord will entrust us with His errand's. We went to Chula to watch the Sunday afternoon. Elder Hales, Elder Nash, Elder Clarke, and Elder Bednar stood out to me. Obviously all of them were amazing! But the ones that stood out to me just said things I needed to hear at this particular time. We stopped by a potentials after. She is struggling right now with finding a job and we talked with her about how the Lord can help her find a job and if she reads the Book of Mormon everyday, she will find strength in that. She said we could come back next week so we hope that she really takes to heart what we talked about. We had dinner at the House's. They are a family in our ward whom we love! Brother House is the ward mission leader and we are just really close with the whole family. It was a great dinner! We did a few more visits and then did some squeakret service :)

Monday we had MoBatt in the morning. I gave my last tour with Sister Stevens :( after we went to Chula and had dinner with our district and said goodbye and then we went back to the House's to get a picture and then we tried a few potentials. Next we went back to Old Town and did some organizational things so I wouldn't be too freaked out about taking over the area and then we had a farewell BBQ at the MoBat for the departing sisters. It was delicious and fun and so sweet to hear their testimonies. We went back to the apt and I helped Sister Stevens pack.

This morning she got ready, we did her last minute packing, and we took them to the airport. It is bittersweet... I am excited for her to see her family, but I am pretty sad right now because I am going to miss her A LOT. I know that whatever happens will be exactly what is going to happen and that things will be just great, but we have truly become best friends and I have learned so much from her. We had a lot of laughs and I just love her so much! She is an incredible missionary. I know we will be friends for life! And I am so grateful for all that she has done for me. She is on to new adventures and don't worry she is coming to visit you all so be excited :)

Also don't worry.. I wasn't bitter that the age changed after I left haha I know that I am here when I am for a reason :)

I love you all so much!!

Love,
Sister Cassie Chea Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment