Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3--Second Week at MTC


Dear Family,

Oh my goodness. I can't believe it is another preparation day. At the same time it feels like last time I wrote you was months ago. Crazy how that works! This week was full of learning. Last Tuesday night we had the amazing opporutnity of being in the presence of 10 of the 12!! Elder Perry is the one who spoke, but there were 9 other of them on the stand. We got in line a little more than an hour early and we were a little worried because we were quite far back in the line and we wanted to make it in and not have to go watch it in overflow. Luckily we were one of the last people they let in and they had people fill the back up first so we were like 9th row and it rocked! As all of you know I saw Rus on Wednesday. I was just walking into breakfast like every morning and I looked over and saw him and I couldn't help but let tears come to my eyes. I was so happy I got to see him :) I also saw the Rebers at the devotional! Unfortunately, they didn't see me and I didn't have a chance to talk to them, but I am glad I got to see them. Oh also during the devotional the opening song was called to serve. I was just waiting for that moment to sing that song with 1000+ missionaries and it was awesome to experience.

I keep seeing familiar faces and that is always fun! I see Jake Rob still a lot. Dad I saw Laurel Fugal, she works on grounds crew or something. I also saw Peter Mortensen and Cassandra Nielsen and I see Stephers all the time! Oh mom, one of the counselors in the Branch Presidency, Brother Pearce, his wife works at the Timpanogos Temple and I told her that you worked there as well. She said she used to work the Tuesday morning shift until they got this MTC calling and then she switched, but that she still subs on Tuesday morning. Anyway, she said she was going to be there this morning so I told her to look for you and give you a hug from me. Oh shout out to Jules. With everything we learn, we always do role plays. It just made me think of how much you would love it since you are always wanting brock to do role plays with you, haha! Dad thank you so much for your email and for keeping me up to date with what is going on and with the family. I am happy to hear that Uncle John and Aunt Diana made it home safely! Give them my love. I also can't wait for Nick to come in next week!! I will definitely see him. I don't know if I told everyone, but my departure date is July 17, so 2 weeks from today. I can't believe it. I also can't believe that tomorrow is the 4th of July! I hear a lot of you are in George and I hope you guys have so much fun! And everyone else. I think we get to watch some fireworks? I don't know, we'll see. Oh one more thing mom, I met this Elder whose mom is from El Cajon! All I got was that his mom's maiden name is smith and that they lived right in El Cajon. I know that is a common last name, but did you live close to any Smith's? Another thing, thank you so much for the water bottle mom and dad! I looooove it!!

This was kind of a trying week for me.. On Wednesday and Thursday I got to help the Zone leaders with orientation for the new missionaries in our zone. I enjoyed that. It was funny because I am in charge of helping the sisters and I had to take them back to their rooms to help them settle in and explain some rules to them and also to answer any questions that they had. First of all I was surprised that I could actually answer their questions and second of all, it was funny because they thought I was so smart and all knowing. One sister asked me how long I had been there and I was like oh just a week! They were all surprised. I told them that I definitely had so much more to learn, but that they would be surprised with how much they will learn in a week. I have been playing lots of volleyball since I have been here. I think I am remembering how to play! It's a lot of fun. I still love my district. They are all awesome. This is actually the elder's last week with us, and then it will just be us 4 sisters in our district for the last week.

Thursday and Friday were really hard days for me. I just had a lot of doubt and was frustrated with myself that I wasn't doing well at teaching. My teachers are awesome and so willing to help me and answer my questions. Sunday was an excellent day because it was just the spiritual boost that I needed. President Gubler had a meeting with all the sisters and me. He says he likes to do that because he knows that sisters are harder on themselves then elders and he just wants to make sure we were doing okay. It was just what I needed. He talked about how we may not be as good as we want to be yet, but as long as we are trying and that we have felt the spirit, we are good enough for that day. He also personally asked me what was bothering me and I just told him that I was struggling with having confidence in myself when it comes to teaching. I just kept feeling like when we were teaching we were just running in circles with our investigators. He helped me see that I am not the teacher, but just the messenger. I mean I knew that, but just being reminded of that helped me so much. He said as long as I have a good heart, the spirit can be the teacher. I am doing everything I can to be obedient, to use my study time effectively, so that I can be the Spirits messenger. Since it was fast sunday, we had a mission conference. It was awesome! Sister Riggs sang a solo and she is amazing! Seriously her voice is just wonderful and so is she. If Brandon isn't married when I get back, I am totally making him take her out. She is so cool! Things with my companion are going well. She is awesome and we are getting along great. Sunday night we had an awesome fireside about Joseph Smith. He is an amazing man. Yesterday was an awesome day. I had way more confidence in myself and all our lessons went really well. I could definitely feel the spirit being the teacher instead of myself because I would say things and then after I had no idea how I thought of saying that. This gospel is amazing!

Every day God let's me know that he loves me and I am grateful for that. Also every day he reminds me that I can do this with His help and that I am where I am supposed to be right now. I hope that you all have a wonderful holiday! I love hearing from you! I seriously have the best family in the WORLD. Thank you for your constant love and support. I am loving this experience, highs and lows.

I love you all!!

Love, Sister Rasmussen

No comments:

Post a Comment